Friday, June 18, 2010

Being Ready


Having just completed a Technical Animal Rescue Course (with Swiftwater Component), I have been thinking about being ready. As a 54 (almost 55) year old man, jumping into Class III rapids in a drysuit, helmet, and rescue vest did not seem like such a great idea… once I did it. The first few moments were actually terrifying as I could not get a breath. Then, as I adjusted to the thrashing water and allowed my equipment to buoy me, I relaxed and worked my way out. I eventually drifted onto a flat boulder that created a huge eddy, kind of washed up on it actually, and caught my breath. A deputy sheriff in my class swam up and said, "Boy, I saw you floating peacefully to the rock and figured you really knew what you were doing. So I followed you over." Of course I said, "That was the plan." Yeah. Right.

Like standing on the Top of the World.

Most of us jump into things then get surprised about what happens next, just like me in the middle of the Skykomish River. Yes, I had some great training, great equipment… but I lacked experience. Now that I have some, I can see how things could have been handled better. That's what experience teaches… how to get a better result next time.
Doing it oneself is the American way. We prize the solitary win. I just wonder at the cost, sometimes.

My practice is all about readiness.  I am your readiness coach for disasters and also everyday occurrences.  While I focus on legal tools and strategies, and integrate my advising with financial advisors and CPAs, I also want to help my clients and their families be physically safe and secure.

Here are some tools you can use to plan so you can protect yourself and loved ones from harm.  If you want to know what's up in Western Washington, here is how to get alerts: http://www.rpin.org/rpinweb/AllHazards.aspx

First, prepare your family using some handy forms: http://www.ready.gov/america/publications/allpubs.html

Second, if you are a business owner, you should check out this link to prepare your business for natural disasters: http://www.ready.gov/business/publications/index.html.

You can even prepare Muffy and Fluffy… after all, pets are fuzzy people too.

Take care. And please contact us at Brislawn Lofton, PLLC if you would like our help to bulletproof and arrange your legal and financial affairs for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment